Recipe extract from The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Global Wellness Day.
While I know that many people prefer chicken breasts, personally, I’m a fan of thighs. I usually use skinless thighs in order to rein in the saturated fat, and I trim off any excess fat even further. As you simmer them, they become even more tender and juicy. Or feel free to leave the skin on, if you prefer (as pictured).
- 1 ¼ pounds (568 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 package (8-ounce [225 g]) babybella mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ medium onion, sliced ¼ inch (6 mm) thick
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) tomato paste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dry red wine
- 1 cup (110 g) small red potatoes, quartered, then thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (175 ml) chicken bone broth
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provene
Season the chicken with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken. Brown on one side, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce the heat to low and add the mushrooms to the pan, browning them for about 10 minutes. About halfway through cooking the mushrooms, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes, scraping up the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon. Add the tomato paste to the pan pincéing it or “browning” it a bit, about 1 minute.
Pour in the wine, stir, and simmer to reduce thewine by half, a few minutes. Add the potatoes, brothand herbes de Provence and simmer to thicken thebroth, about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are forktender. Add the chicken back to the pan to finishcooking, a few minutes.
Living a low-carb lifestyle doesn’t have to mean completely shunning the amazing potato if you keep the amount small and leave the skin on for added fiber.
TOTAL PREP AND COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS, 1 THIGH WITH ½ CUP (70 G)
VEGETABLES EACH PER SERVING: 281 CALORIES, 13G CARBOHYDRATE (2G FIBER, 0G ADDED SUGARS, 11G NET CARBS), 28G PROTEIN, 13G FAT, 427 MG SODIUM.