I found that when you continually strip your hair of its natural oils by washing it every day your scalp works ten times harder to replace them, which can cause a greasy hair problem.
Training your scalp to work less may require you to wash your hair less. You will reduce water consumption by a lot using dry shampoo. I wash my hair every three days, and I use dry shampoo on the days I don’t wash it.
This shampoo has only two ingredients! But because I have darker hair, I add cocoa powder to darken the shampoo, so I don’t look like I have white powder in my hair all day.
Homemade Dry Shampoo
- 1 tbsp (8g) arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp (8g) cocoa powder
- 1 small container
- Combine the arrowroot and cocoa powders together until fully mixed. Transfer to a small container.
- Apply to the roots of your hair using a powder brush.
- Let the powder set for about 5 minutes, then massage it into your scalp.
- Brush through with a comb, and you’ll be all set to skip washing for another day!
For darker brown to black hair, use more cocoa powder.
For blonde hair, omit the cocoa powder.
For auburn to red hair, try using cinnamon or paprika instead of cocoa powder, or mix the two to find your perfect shade.
You can find more tips and tricks for homemade beauty products like blush, hair spray, deodorant, and mascara in An Almost Zero Waste Life!